- Website for kids: www.kidsinmadrid.com A guide for English-speaking families.
- Teen expats’ social network: http://www.teenxpats.com
- Finbars trad session on Thursdays
Fancy listening to some genuine Irish traditional music, live and acoustic, while you enjoy one of the best pints Madrid has to offer? Or maybe you fancy playing yourself? Every Thursday at 10.30pm (a little later when there's footie) the musicians gather at Finbars to have the craic. Finbars, c/Marqués de Urquijo, 10.
- Thursday 2nd October until June
BLA Charity shop re-opens
Located at Nave 19, Calle N, Europolis, Las Rozas Our Charity Shop, which is staffed entirely by volunteers within the British Ladies Association, and is one of our main sources of income, is open from the beginning of October until June every Thursday and first Saturday of the month from 11am to 3pm..All second-hand clothes, books, toys, bric-a-brac, kitchen-ware, DVDs, CDs and videos are welcome. A great place to pick up a bargain or two. All the proceeds go to our charities. If travelling by car, take the A6 and exit by the Escorial, Las Rozas exit (salida 18). Keep left towards the Escorial and proceed up the small motorway, turning right at the Citroen showrooms and turning immediately right again into Calle N. Buses from Moncloa 623, 625, 627.
- Tuesday 7th October.
St. George’s Guild. Open to all
11.00am Coffee. 11:20am A talk by George Irani on “Relations between Muslims and Christians”. St. George’s Church Hall, C/ Núñez de Balboa, 43.
- 10 - 19 October
Ojo Cojo International film festival www.elojocojo.org
El Festival Internacional
LARGOMETRAJES a concurso
OFF THE GRID: LIFE ON THE MESETA
11 Octubre 8pm Artebar C/ San Bruno, 3
13 October 6pm Centro Madrileño de Imágenes C/ Conde Duque, 9
14 October 7.20pm Yemayá C/ Calatrava, 16
PANCHO GOES TO UNIVERSITY
11 Octubre 7.15pm Reina Sofía
13 Octubre 7.35pm Instituto Cervantes C/ Alcalá, 49
ADVENTURES OF POWER.
11 Octubre 9.20pm Artebar C/ San Bruno, 3
18 Octubre 9.20pm Yemayá C/ Calatrava, 16
18 Octubre 10.35pm Plaza de la Paja
MADE IN L.A.
11 Octubre 5,45pm Reina Sofía
15 Octubre 7.50pm Instituto Cervantes C/ Alcalá, 49
12 Octubre 7.05pm Artebar C/ San Bruno, 3
16 october 8.25pm Centro Madrileño de Imágenes C/ Conde Duque, 9
- Sunday 12th October 8 pm
Gigging Guiri (stand-up comedy)
Craig Hill , the kilted comedian, comes to us fresh from a sell-out crowd at Edinburgh Fringe Festival, where he performed his ninth annual solo show.
Sala Clamores C/ Albuquerque, 14 (Metro Bilbao) Tickets: 15 euros at www.comedyinspain.com or Fat Tony’s, C/ de la Cruz, 11 (Metro Sol), or 17 euros at the door.
- 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26 October 9 pm Teatro Liberarte, c/ Francisca Conde,7, tel: 91 733 00 29 (Metro: Valdeacederas).
Beckett shorts II.
The Madrid Players return this month with three short plays from Irish Playwright Samuel Beckett: Not I, Rough for the Theatre and That Time. These original language plays all feature fragmented memories and monologues.
- 31st October Halloween
Halloween Trivia 11 pm (Free beer with costume)
J & J Books and Coffee C/ Espíritu Santo, 47 (Metro Noviciado)
- 31st October Halloween parties
Finbars Irish Bar
Halloween fancy dress rave with whiskey for original costumes. C/Marqués de Urquijo, 10.
Drink promos & costume competition. C/de los Mancebos, 4.
Big Halloween party! Guinness and Jameson are providing beer promotions, costumes, downstairs Horror Crypt.C/San Vicente Ferrer, 3.
Party from 10pm-late, competition with prizes for the best costumes. Four locations throughout Madrid (see ad p9).
Party with drink specials, costumes. C/Espoz y Mina, 7.
Big party with live music, drink specials and costume contests.C/Espoz y Mina, 7.
Party with a Galician celtic rock band Ruxe Ruxe, major decorations and prizes for
fancy dress, also celebrating 'Oktoberfest' with a Tyrolian bierkeler band, Blechauffa, on 11 October. Avenida Brasil, 7.
Shamrocks Irish Pub
Party, 3x2 beers, 2x1 mixed drinks. Johnny Walker Black Pary. Prizes for best costumes. Paseo Pintor Rosales, 6.
Party with live music, fancy dress party with prizes for girls and guys. C/Principe, 12.
Halloween party with billiards tournaments and prizes. Gran Vía, 31.
- 31st October – 1st November 8 pm (Festival de Otoño)
I went to the house but did not enter Teatro de
la Zarzuela C/ Jovellanos, 4
La intensa interpretación musical del Hilliard Ensemble y la dirección del compositor Heiner Goebbels anclan esta obra sin trama lineal que sólo completa su significado al ser vista y escuchada. Un concierto en tres actos. Y en cada acto, un texto del siglo XX. T. S. Eliot, Maurice Blanchot, Samuel Beckett. Un tema compartido y un yo anónimo construido con multitud de voces para enganchar al espectador en un no tiempo, de un no lugar, en el que transcurre una historia imposible, un viaje que nunca se emprende, una alegoría del antihéroe.
- 31st October- 2nd November 9 pm (Festival de Otoño)
The Monkey Trial Sala Cuarta Pared C/ Ercilla, 17 (Metro Acacias)
Una exposición hilarante sobre las improbabilidades bíblicas en una batalla entre hombres que se creen dueños de la verdad...
El 10 de julio
- Sunday 30th November at the COMPLEJO TRYP CENTRO NORTE, C/ Mauricio Legendre 16 (Chamartín)
BLA CHRISTMAS BAZAAR
Baked goods, bar, books, Christmas cards, Food and sandwiches, handicrafts, nearly new clothes, teas, tombola, toys, white elephants
Associations and clubs/ Intercambios/Tertulias/ International parties or meetings
· The British Ladies’ Association invites English speakers of any nationality (both men and women) to join our association. We meet on the last Tues. of each month at 10:30am for coffee and a talk by a speaker. The meeting is held at St. George’s Church Hall, C/Núñez de Balboa 43. There are also other activities and outings and a Christmas bazaar to help raise funds for local Spanish charities. Contact Frances Bushby on tel: 918 152 185 or Sheila Jones on tel: 918 034 713. www.blamadrid.com
- International Newcomer’s Club of Madrid – meet people, make friends. Meetings every 2nd Wednesday of the month. Contact Andrea Isiminger at 91 815 2116Whether you’re new to Madrid, or an “old hand”, welcome to the International Newcomers Club and get a taste of the fun-filled year ahead. Take a deserved break from your recent routine, whether it’s unpacking moving boxes, getting children off to school, or starting a new job. Recharge your batteries in the company of an amazingly diverse group of women who represent more than 25 countries and a zillion talents and interests, but who all share a desire to become acquainted with Madrid and its international community. And these are just our general meetings! Why not join us for coffee at our coffee mornings held monthly at various locations in Madrid, or bring your partner to one of our popular wine and tapas evenings? If you like to sing, talk, quilt, play cards, walk, read books, travel, we’ve got an interest group for you! http://www.incmadrid.com/
- St. George’s Guild: Meetings are held at St. George’s Church Hall, C/Núñez de Balboa 43. An interdenominational group which meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 11:0am. There is a lending library that opens after the meeting.
- Madrid network España – for professional women of all nationalities. Contact Diana Wienberg on 907 700 600 Evening meetings
- Madrid Players – The English Language theatre group. Plaza Perseo, 9 (Metro Conde de Casal), entrance opposite C/Perseo, 16. Call 91 326 2439. http://www.madridplayers.blogspot.com/
- Pub philosophy group every Sunday 6-8:30pm, Molly Malone’s, C/Manuela Malasaña, 11 (Metro Bilbao), Lawrence. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 606081813
- Madrid Art Group: If you are a visual artist; painter, sculptor, photographer, printmaker, etc. and would like to meet once a month, to have a drink and talk o other artists, contact Louisa, e-mail email@example.com
- Writers’ group. Writers with work in progress and a view to publication welcome. Call Charlie, tel: 91 816 2419, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- International group discussing literature in English, e.g. short stories. We meet once a month. Newcomers are welcome. E-mail us at email@example.com
- Hola! A partir de octubre nos reunimos de nuevo los lunes en cine ideal para ver peliculas en version original, y otros dias en
la filmoteca. Bienvenidoa las sesiones de cine internacional! mas info: http://www.madridculture.com/es/madrid-clubs-cultura.html o email: firstname.lastname@example.org NEW!!!!
- Someone interested in group for practice of Visualization and inner experience. Tel: 660 521 318. NEW!!!!
- Scottish country dancing: every Tuesday at the
Centro Gallegoat 7:30pm. Beginners and experienced dancers welcome. Contact Sheila Pérez on 91 738 77 94
- Hash House Harriers – can be a 1hr cross-country, jog or just a pleasant walk, followed by drinks and a meal. Every Sunday. Hotline 91 518 81 31 or call 91 358 51 69. http://www.madridhhh.com/
- Madrid Lions Rugby Club welcomes new players of all levels and nationalities. Pub night Thursdays from 8:30pm at Finnegan’s, Plaza de las Salesas (Metro Alonso martínez or Colón) Check www.madridlionsrfc.com and ring Charlie on 636 067 716
- Hockey! Come along and join us at Somontes sports centre (On the Madrid-El Pardo road) at the weekends for mixed non-league field/grass hockey on water-based Astroturf. E-mail email@example.com for more info
- Madrid Adventure Club Looking for friends to do sports? Come with us to the mountains, do trekking, play sports, meet people from around the world. http://www.myspace.com/madridadventure
- Snooker, anyone fancy a frame here in Madrid? Please contact Andrew for details: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 660 502 917.
- Basketball Madrid. Come and join us once a week to practice basketball . Get fit and meet new friends . Active social calendar . For more info telephone Rob on 697 345 613 or go to http://www.madridbasketball.bravehost.com/ www.basketballpractice.myfreeforum.org
- Volleyball. Colors United Madrid are looking for new players (male) different ages, level medium or high. Email: email@example.com or tel: 626 669 744. Starts in October.
- Cricket in Madrid? YES, Madrid cricket club is looking for players of all levels and nationalities. Play in the Spanish national league! For more info contact David 670 087 637 or Manny 627 557 572
- Thai Boxing Club in Madrid welcomes new members to learn this amazing sport. All levels and sexes welcome. Private classes also available. visit www.muaythaimadrid.com , email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact David on 662 164 877. NEW!!!!
- Poker (Texas Hold'Em N/L). Do you like playing poker? Let's have a weekly tournament. Email: email@example.com NEW!!!!
- Tennis in Alcobendas ( north of Madrid ) looking for player with good level, weekday or weekend morning. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org NEW!!!!
- Play TAGRUGBY every saturday during the month of October and after the games watch RWC matches in the James Joyce Irish pub. Prizes each day sponsored by Canterbruy rugby and the James Joyce. More details on www.tagrugby.es NEW!!!!
- Lacrosse in Madrid! Join us! We welcome all to come and play or learn Lacrosse. Men's and Women's. Please visit: www.madridlacrosse.com
- MADRIDBABEL: Meet Spanish/international people from over 30 different nationalities & exchange languages absolutely free at Café Madrid (c/ Escalinata s/n - metro Opera) every Wednesday from 21:30 till 2:00. Ask for Fran (email@example.com). Welcome Back Party on Friday 5th at 9pm at El Barbu Club (c/ Santiago,
3, MetroOpera). Check our website: http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/madridbabel
- International Travellers’ Tertulia (free) Meeting every Thurs. 9:30pm-2am, Café Madrid, C/Escalinata S/N (Metro Opera). Talk to people from all over the world! New members welcome. Antoine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.madridintercambios.glo24.com
- O’Neill’s Join our group of Spaniards+foreigners in Madrid. Meet new people and practise Spanish, English and other languages for free.Tuesdays from10pm at O’Neill’s, C/Príncipe
12, MetroSol/Sevilla. E-mail email@example.com or tel: 618 271 778. Youtube: Telemadrid david
- International group of friends would like to have new members to do every kind of activities in Madrid. Tel: 653087841
- Grupo intercambio. Hi there! We are a group of people who meet on Sat. around 10pm for a language exchange (English-Spanish) over a drink. If you fancy coming, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- English conversation group on Sundays at 6.30pm in Café Comercial (Metro Bilbao). Practise English over a coffee and put a relaxing end to your hectic weekend. All levels welcomed. Email me at email@example.com or call Oscar on 660 519 499. NEW!!!!
- Cultural and social international English-speaking group Are you looking for new friends? We are an international English-speaking group (35 +) welcoming participative members. Talks, theatre and films, quizzes, outings, music and singing, Saturday lunchtime parties. E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or phone us: 91 548 37 93 (10-11pm) / 628 420 155
- Diversionyamigos.com: A good way of making friends and having fun. Group travels, Sport and cultural activities, parties, events, gastronomy. All kinds of people are welcomed. NEW!!!!
- J & J Books and Coffee C/Espíritu Santo,
47 MetroNoviciado 91 521 8576. Intercambio Wed-Fri 8pm
- Single Malt Whisky Club C/Velázquez, 59. Tel: 915783962 (Metro Velázquez) www.whiskyclub.es
- International Exchange party organised by Forocio, Palacio de Gaviria, C/Arenal, 9, every Thursday from 10:30pm www.palaciogaviria.com
- International parties on Saturdays at Villa Dehesa, Call de Tremps,
42. MetroFrancos Rodríguez http://madridfiestas.glo24.com/
- Individual exchanges in classified ads section “intercambios” of In Madrid newspaper, but be very careful it’s not a sect or someone after sex. Don’t go alone the first time!!! http://www.in-madrid.com/default2.htm
- Exchange Spanish-English over a coffee or a beer (same warning) http://www.lingobongo.com/madrid/intercambios.php
- hola si buscas un intercambio de frances, ingles o aleman de uno a uno, manda un email y te conectamos con gente de fuera que viven en madrid. Solo avisa de tus estudios y edad, para que te pongamos en contacto con alguien con similar intereses. mas info: http://www.madridculture.com/es/intercambios-idiomas-madrid.html Email: firstname.lastname@example.org NEW!!!!
- O’Neill’s, C/Príncipe 12. Every Monday night at 22:00
- Moore’s, C/Barceló, 1. Every Monday night
- J & J Books C/Espíritu Santo,
47 MetroNoviciado 91 521 8576. Quiz night every Friday night 11pm
- Bo Fin Tuesdays. Esquina Diego de León con Velásquez (also Trivial)
- Anyway Thursdays. Viriato, 64
- Triskel Corredera Alta de San Pablo, 20.Tel: 91 523 27 83
- Website with sample questions http://www.avendano.org/quiz/index.php
- Finbars C/Marqués de Urquijo, 10 www.finbarsmadrid.com 91 548 37 93 Trad session every Tuesday
- Other Irish pubs featuring Spanish Celtic bands, Irish bands or special invited guests from Ireland:
Finnegan’s 91 310 0521, The James Joyce 91 575 4901,
Molly Malone’s 91 594 16 35, Moore’s 91365 5802, O’Connor’s 91310 44 35, O’Neill’s 91 521 20 30, Triskel Tavern 91 523 27 83, O’Connell Street 91 531 64 19, Irish Corner 91 377 42 51, Irish Rover 91 597 48 11
- Your Scottish pub in Madrid: Saint Andrew´s Cross, C/General Margallo, 26, Semiesquina C/Orense, 83. Tel: 91 571 44 65 http://www.lavacaescocesa.com/intro.swf
- Hartley’s Good Bookshop C/Padilla, 74 (corner of Alcántara) Metro Diego de León/Lista 91 401 9077 Mon-Fri 11-14:00 & 17-20:00; Sat 11-14:00 New books – used books & DVDs bought and sold
- Petra’s International Bookshop C/Campomanes, 13, 28013 Metro Opera,/Santo Domingo91 541 7291 Monday to Saturday 11:00 to 21:00 Second-hand books in many languages.
- J & J Books and Coffee C/Espíritu Santo,
47 MetroNoviciado 91 521 8576. Now open on Sundays. Buy, sell and trade your English books plus great food, drinks and events available. http://www.jandjbooksandcoffee.com/ Intercambio nights Wed-Fri 8pm. Quiz night every Friday night 11pm. Story time for kids Saturdays at noon
- Bookseller’s English Bookshop C/Fernández de la Hoz,
40 MetroIglesia 91 442 8104 http://www.madridteacher.com/booksellers.htm
- Bookseller’s Bilingual Bookshop Plaza de Olavide,
10 MetroBilbao/Iglesia 91 702 7944
- Pasajes International Bookshop C/ Génova, 3 28004 Madrid Tel: 913 101 245 E-mail: email@example.com
- The Food Hall C/Isla de Alegranza, 6 Nave 38 / S.S. Reyes, Madrid Mon. to Fri. 10 to 20.30 h Sat. 11 to 20.30 h. We do not close at lunchtime. 902431136. shop on line: www.thefoodhall.es New access by metro. Line 10 est. Hospital Norte
- The Things You Miss.
Juan deAustria, 11, 28010 Madrid. Opening times: Monday to Friday 10:00–14:30 &17:00–20:30; Saturdays 10:00–14:30 www.thethingsyoumiss.com
- Living in London tearoom Calle de Santa Engracia, 4 Tel: 91.319.79.58 Timetable: 10 to 22 h. A recreation of a typical English Victorian tearoom, with embroidered linen table cloths, flowery wallpaper, small tables and nineteenth century ornaments. At the entrance there are shelves of jams, biscuits, chutneys, tea, clotted cream etc. for sale along with homemade sandwiches and cakes. Part of the proceeds go towards helping families in the Mangola Chini Valley (Tanzania)
- Tea Shop C/ Fernando VI, 5 28004 Madrid. Tel: 913 081 166
- BLA Charity shop. Located at Nave 19, Calle N, Europolis, Las Rozas Our Charity Shop which is staffed entirely by volunteers within the British Ladies Association, and is one of our main sources of income. It is open from the beginning of October until June every Thursday and first Saturday of the month from 11am to 3pm..All second-hand clothes, books, toys, bric-a-brac, kitchen wear, DVDs, CDs and videos are welcome. A great place to pick up a bargain or two. All the proceeds go to our charities. If travelling by car, take the A6 and exit by the Escorial, Las Rozas exit (salida 18). Keep left towards the Escorial and proceed up the small motorway, turning right at the Citroen showrooms and turning immediately right again into Calle N. Buses from Moncloa 623, 625, 627
- Madrid Live. Madrid in English on Radio Círculo. Broadcast live on Tuesdays at 6:30pm. Now repeated Wednesdays at 09:30am. A dynamic half hour of arts and entertainment. Listen on the Internet www.circulobellasartes.com
- Vaughan radio http://www.vaughanradio.com/
Free newspaper in English
- In Madrid Online versión: http://www.in-madrid.com/default2.htm Also available in print. List of places where you can pick up a free copy: http://www.in-madrid.com/distrib.html Have it delivered by post for €20 per year. If you are interested, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details, or call 91 522 67 80 to find out more. Ask for copies for your school: email@example.com
Special rates for English teachers 91 360 1299 http://www.marsillachactingacademy.com/
- Tuesday 2nd: St. George’s Guild 11.0am
Talk: “Travels in Rajasthan, India”
- Wednesday 10th International Newcomers’ Club of Madrid
- Tuesday 30th British ladies Association monthly meeting.
Talk by Elizabeth Nash, the Madrid Correspondent for The Independent on “The Cultural and Literary History of Seville”. Her book will be on sale (20 euros)
- Tuesday 6th: St. George’s Guild 11.0am
- Wednesday 14th International Newcomers’ Club of Madrid
- Tuesday 27th British ladies Association monthly meeting.
- Thanksgiving parties
· St. Andrew’s Day party
- Sunday 2nd British Ladies’ Bazaar
Complejo Tryp Centro Norte C/Mauricio Legendre 16
- Tuesday 4th: St. George’s Guild 11.0am
- Wednesday 12th International Newcomers’ Club of Madrid
- Friday 7th, Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th: Madrid Players’ Pantomime: Cinderella